Today is the day that my home, the beautiful twin islands of Trinidad & Tobago celebrate Independence Day. Big Up to Da Trini Massive
Enjoy the day and to all of my family back home….I love you. Enjoy de jump up for meh.
When next we speak, the fall will be upon us…the kids will be back in school and before we know it…cold weather.
Enjoy the weekend, make the most of the three days off. Swim, Eat, Lounge.
A few housekeeping notes….
Best of Luck to my Soror Royce’s Daughter as she prepares to run her marathon. Because she is a strong woman and has trained hard for this….I know she will emerge victorious. Good luck Roycee!
I also want to shout out a very special individual. HAPPY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY to the beautiful, dynamic, sassy and sweet MISS LEE. I can’t even begin to put into words how much I love me some Miss Lee. She is a talented writer and a bad azz Brooklyn chick. Enjoy your special day and this one’s for you Missy! They Can’t Knock The Hustle…keep shining!
I was a new employee at my hotel and I had recently left one major Hotel chain and had started at another. Same stuff but the corporate climate was very different.
I had been in the job a month and so far was enjoying the change.
Coming down the hallway, I see the General Manager. I stop and say hello and he starts walking with me. We both get on the elevator and as we descend to the Executive offices he says….
“So, How is your period looking this month?”
For a solid minute, I was dead quiet. In my head, I was like…WHAT THE FUDGE DID THIS MAN JUST ASK ME? Then my mind started racing and I started thinking….IS THIS SEXUAL HARRASSMENT, DAMN, I JUST GOT HERE?
Finally a lightbulb went off and I remembered that at my old company, we called the end of the booking cycle “Month End”. Here at XYZ Hotels, they call it “Period End”.
“My Period looks like it’s turning out to be a good one.”
I went downstairs and told my Director of Sales what happened and she was in tears…”At least you didn’t smack him.” LOL
No post today. My team at work is headed to see the TUT exhibit followed by lunch and lots of cocktails.
Have a fabulous day and I will holla at you tomorrow blog fam.
All along I kept saying that Michael Vick needed Jesus, now he says he has found Him.
Senator Larry. Cr.aig from Idaho, a staunch Republican who voted against same sex marriage and several other gay rights issues was found engaging in same sex activities in a men’s restroom. Ahem. To quote Mama Sixty…..GOD DON’T LIKE UGLY.
Scott B.aio is 45 and single but his girlfriend is knocked up so he better get over those committment issues fast.
If arsonists set that fire in Greece, they need their azzes locked the eff up.
Both Se.rena and Ve.nus won their matches after the tribute to Althea Gibson at the US Open. How appropriate.
AND THE METS BETTER NOT LOSE TO THE PHILLIES TONIGHT.
I woke up on Sunday morning with a goal. It was 6am and I got dressed. I laced up the sneakers, slathered on some sunscreen and got in my car. I drove to East. F.alls and parked my car and from there I hit the ground running.
I ran alongside my favorite stretch of road in Philadelphia. I was determined to tackle “The Drive”.
I love K.elly D.rive. The drive stretches all along the Sch.uyll.kil River and winds next to Boathouse Row and ultimately leads to the Art Museum (you know, where Rocky runs up the stairs). It is serene and peaceful and on this day….I decided to talk myself out of the “I Can’t Do it” attitude and force myself to try.
My IPod was playing and I stopped thinking and just ran. Up to now, I had only run maybe two miles at best….and always on a treadmill at the gym.
On Sunday, I ended up doing a personal best for me….4 miles. I was utterly exhausted. But I felt great. Sometimes, I have to stop thinking so much. I think myself out of situations I can physically handle. I need to trust myself to just live. Just do it (as the sneaker giant says).
I need to just run.
My friend Liz tagged me (not THAT kind of tag) and I will now present to you:
TEN THINGS I LIKE ABOUT ME
1. I am a great cook. Yes, 1969 can throw down in the kitchen. I am one of those people that cooks without recipes. I go to restaurants, taste something and come home and make it. Friends always want to come over to eat or they ask me to teach them how to cook. It’s one of my most favorite things about myself and I have to thank my Grandmother, My Mother and my five aunts and one uncle….all great cooks.
(I am not a baker though….shhh!)
2. I am great with people. I can walk into a room with all different kinds of people and make myself at home. I love meeting new folks, talking to them and can probably strike up a conversation with almost anyone.
3. I am a “boy” mom. Some moms are perfect for girls. They shop, get their nails done, etc. I am most definitely meant to have boys. I love football, I play in the dirt and I wrestle. My son learned to play baseball from me taking him out every night and teaching him how to hold a bat and pitching him balls. He can now hit like a champ.
4. As much as I like being a tomboy, I love getting girly. I love shopping, pedicures, new purses and shoes. I live for fashion and love to talk style. I think women that can be sophisticated and elegant but still rock a ponytail and some sweats are the hotness.
5. I can fix things. I can put things together. I can hang drapes, install drywall, etc. I am great with electronics and gadgets. I am the female Bob Villa.
6. I love the fact that I am healthier than ever at 38. I take care of myself. I plan to be around, GOD WILLING, for a long time.
7.I love my nose. It’s cute.
8. I love my ability to roll out of the Boardroom and then roll through the hood. Many people would never meet me and know where I come from or what I am capable of.
I am proud to be from brooklyn….that tough upbringing has grounded me and prepared me for almost any challenge I could ever face.
9. I love being Caribbean. Our people are beautiful. Our culture is diverse. Our food is extraordinary. Our history is proud. I love going home to Trinidad and feeling that sense of pride and HOME.
10. The thing I love about myself the most is my ability to persevere despite any obstacle. I am so hard on myself but somehow I manage to wake up everyday and keep trying. I have faith in God and in myself that I will do my best. Sometimes my best isn’t good enough. Sometimes, it downright sucks…..but I can’t stop, won’t stop. I enjoy my life. I love my family. I am grateful for every single day that I get to breathe. I never let the negative forces take over. I stay out of those holes. It’s so easy to be “woe is me”. I am like most of you….a product of a single mom, no father, financially unstable upbringing, nearly evicted more times than I can count, struggled through bad relationships, fell in love only to have that person die, etc….I could go on and on….but I am here. I never gave up. I always believed that God has a plan. No matter what has been thrown at me….I keep the faith and keep it moving. Thanks me, I love you man!
I returned to the office only to be thrown in the middle of some office drama. WHY ME?
Why can’t people just come to work and do their jobs? I don’t feel like having to write anyone up on my first day back. I don’t feel like spending half the day dealing with childish, petty shyt. Just focus on the task at hand. For me, trouble always comes when you are focused on everything BUT your job.
So, because I work for more than one hotel (as do my team members), our review gets sent to our shareholders and they can comment on the survey anonymously. After that, we sit down and review their feedback.
Well, one employee wants to tell me who her survey should be sent to. Uh….no.
I am going to select who gets the survey. I know you are buddy, buddy with the Director of Sales over there but I am sending your review to the General Manager. I want objective feedback not all praise and hugs. I want to hear what kind of job you are doing and not just from a friend of yours.
So she goes behind my back and calls corporate to get some folks added to the survey without my authorization…..so uh….corporate calls guess who? ME.
It ain’t rocket science sister. Someone is going to have to authorize it. Who did you think they would call?
So anyway, 1969 is over here dealing with some “issues”. After I kick some butt, I will get a real post out tomorrow.
Mr. 1969 calls our neighbors kids the Wu-Tang Clan. They have a tendency to hang out late on their steps and they are loud. Our block is extremely quiet with the exception of these kids. **sigh**
On weekends, when their friends come over, he looks out the window and announces that the “Wu Affiliates” are visiting.
He is kind of obsessed with making sure these kids don’t step on his grass, don’t leave any trash on our property, etc. It’s actually funny. He is turning into one of those neighbors that says things like “You boys better get over on your yard.” “Uh, you gonna pick that up?”. You know, the old man next door.
Well, yesterday, we were in the car. He picked me up from the train station and we pull up in our driveway and sure enough….the two neighbors kids are hanging outside of their house with their friends.
His radar goes off and he starts scoping out our lawn to make sure everything is in order. So Tali 1 shouts out, “DADDY! The Wu Tangs are outside again.”
I give Mr. 1969 a dirty look. He starts laughing and says, “What?”
“Why did you teach him to call the neighbors the Wu Tang? That is not cute.”
“He won’t say it around them.”
“That’s not the point. They are “our neighbors” not the Wu Tang.”
“Okay, okay. I’m sorry. They don’t know what it means”
I am interrupted by both Tali’s sitting in the back of the car holding up “W” signs with their fingers chanting in unison “Wu Tang, Wu Tang, Wu Tang”.
I turn and look at my husband, who is cracking up with tears in his eyes…..laughing.
Maybe I should have stayed in DC?